If you are a senior executive or HR leader who is worried about the abrasive conduct of a manager or top performer in your organization, our one-on-one specialized coaching can help.
While otherwise a high-performing, valued member of your leadership cadre, this person’s conduct might be placing the organization at significant risk.
True, he or she may not intend to inflict harm and may not be aware of their impact on the work environment. In fact, they may be doing their absolute best to achieve first-rate business outcomes. However, their interpersonal style has led to any or all of the following:
- High staff turnover
- Increased sick and stress leaves
- Transfer requests
- Low morale
- Harassment or bullying complaints
- Union problems
- Legal or mediation costs
- Stifled innovation
- Damage to your brand’s reputation
- Valuable executive resources wasted on dealing with this matter
You may think you’re left with only two options: fire the person (with all the associated costs and loss of crucial expertise), or put up with the behaviour (with all the damage caused by the abrasiveness). Neither of these options is palatable.
Now there is another way, a third option:
KEEP THE PERSON — AND HELP THEM CHANGE.
Our REAL™ Program for Abrasive Leaders is an individual-focused coaching programs designed to successfully accomplish this third option. It delivers win-win solutions for everyone involved: the organization, the abrasive leader, the work unit, and, of course, you personally (no more sleepless nights).
Or use our proprietary, free Abrasive Leader Risk Assessment tool to evaluate the risks involved with this behaviour. Submit it to us and receive a free consultation, or simply use it for your own internal purposes.
Here are free resources from Bar-David Consulting:
- Our Abrasive Leadership Risk Assessment — free download of our proprietary resource
- Trust Your Canary: Every Leader’s Guide to Taming Workplace Incivility — Sharone Bar-David’s book
- Abrasive Leaders: Five Mistakes You’ve Made when Managing Them
- How to Manage an Abrasive Leader — Sharone Bar-David’s interview on Coaching for Leaders program
- Dealing with a Star Performer Who is Abrasive
- What We Now Know about Abrasive Leadership and Organizational Factors —results of Bar-David Consulting/Canadian HR Reporter Magazine 2012 Survey
- Abrasive Leaders—Top Ten Organizational Competencies Checklist — assess your organization’s capacity to prevent and address leaders’ harsh interpersonal conduct
- Challenges Related to Creating Respectful Work Environments — thirty minute audio interview with Sharone Bar-David
- Abrasive Bosses – Three Deadly Organizational Sins
- A note from Sharone Bar-David to leaders who have told to change their abrasive style
- Common Myths — three most common myths pertaining to abrasive managers.
- The business case for a respectful workplace — a collection of data and figures that help you quantify why it makes good business sense to maintain a respectful workplace.
- The Incivility Risk: It’s Time to Connect the Dots
- Ultimate Survival Guide for (Good) Managers: Protecting Yourself from Unfair Bullying Charges
- Respect-on-the-Go Toolkits — Bar-David Consulting’s info- and strategy-packed resource cards
- Our Blog – check out our blog entries focused on respectful workplace issues.
- Learning Hub — learn for free together with your team. Initiate thoughtful discussion in your team about respectful workplace issues using our Learning Hub tools.