Here are the three most common myths pertaining to abrasive managers:
Myth No 1: The abrasive style is a crucial component of the person’s success. Without the abrasiveness, they won’t be as effective as they are now.
Myth No 2: ‘You can’t teach an old dog new tricks’ – the manager can’t change. You can’t change a person’s personality – – this is how they always were and always will be.
Myth No 3: Those who complain about the manager’s style should acquire ‘thicker skins’. They should quit complaining and focus on real work.
The reality is that not one of these myths is true. Abrasiveness can be tamed, surprisingly quickly.
Please contact us to discuss how we can assist with abrasive managers in your organization.
To learn more about Abrasive Leaders, please visit any of the following resources:
- Abrasive Leader Risk Assessment — evaluate the risks involved with this behaviour by accessing our proprietary, free tool
- Our Blog – Check out our blog entries focused on respectful workplace issues.
- Learning Hub – Learn for free together with your team. Initiate thoughtful discussion in your team about respectful workplace issues using our Learning Hub tools.
- Dealing with a Star Performer Who is Abrasive
- What We Now Know about Abrasive Leadership and Organizational Factors – results of Bar-David Consulting/Canadian HR Reporter Magazine 2012 Survey
- Abrasive Bosses – Three Deadly Organizational Sins
- Abrasive Leaders: Five Mistakes You’ve Made when Managing Them
- Abrasive Leaders—Top Ten Organizational Competencies Checklist—assess your organization’s capacity to prevent and address leaders’ harsh interpersonal conduct
- Challenges Related to Creating Respectful Work Environments—thirty minute audio interview with Sharone Bar-David
- The Incivility Risk: It’s Time to Connect the Dots
- Ultimate Survival Guide for (Good) Managers: Protecting Yourself from Unfair Bullying Charges